Dinner for 2 on a budget.


My husband and I have been "dating" again. :)  We've reserved Friday nights for our date night.  I quit working last year when we adopted our baby, we have a daughter in college, 4 children at home, paying off our adoption debt,  our budget, both financially and timewise are stretched.  We are becoming creative at finding inexpensive activities.  This last Friday was one of those that were fun and inexpensive. (actually it was FREE! My favorite cost!)

I forgot to take pictures.  I am so sad.  You'll just have to form a picture in your mind I guess.  I hunted through our freezers and found one lone cornish game hen. (from 2 Christmas's ago lol)  I stuffed that hen with 3 fresh cloves of garlic & sprinkled a grill seasoning on the outside and set it on the grill for 20 minutes.  In the meantime, I cut 2 small zucchini lengthwise into wedges, sprinkled it with olive oil and a vegetable seasoning mix (which contains oregano, basil, garlic, onion & sage).  When my first 20 minutes was up on the cornish gamehen, I tossed the zucchini on to grill as well, for another 20 minutes.Dave picked and cooked corn on the cob.   We put little kids to bed, set a card table in the family room, found tablecloth, candles and a Norah Jones CD.... Wahlah!  Dinner for 2!  We drank A&W rootbeer... and for dessert we had freshly sliced peaches with cream and sugar. (lots of sugar for me!)   We spent nothing by using what was on hand, ate a dinner that was as good as a high quality restaurant, and could sit at our table and talk without feeling rushed.

What are your best dinners for 2?  Share your ideas with me!  I'm sure we'll be having another late night, candle light dinner for 2 on date night again soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread