Hot Chocolate Heaven




We LOVE a good cup of hot chocolate on a cool morning! Or for a bedtime treat! Or after playing outside in the cold! It's just starting to be cool enough in the morning to start serving hot chocolate at our house. Hooray! Most of the time I use an all in one mix (I'll post a recipe for that another time) that you just add to water. It's okay... but my favorite is this kind made fresh. Honestly, you just have to play with this recipe and adjust it to your taste. There wasn't a recipe to begin with... I learned to mix the sugar and cocoa "To just the right color" by watching my Mother. The recipe below is my best calculations of sugar & cocoa to get the "right color". LOL I mix up quite a bit of sugar & cocoa and just keep it in the cupboard. Then all I have to do it warm the milk & add sugar/cocoa mixture until it tastes right. Here's enough recipe to get you started. Enjoy!


3 quarts milk (or the equivalent of that using dry milk)
1 1/2 C. sugar
1/3 C. baking cocoa, heaped
1 can evaporated milk
vanilla

Heat milk until quite warm.

In bowl, mix 1 1/2 C. sugar & a heaping 1/3 C. baking cocoa. Stir into warm milk until dissolved. Mix in the can of evaporated milk. Add a splash of vanilla. Heat until nearly boiling. Serve steaming hot and with a dollop of whipped cream on top if you're feeling generous!

Joy's Note: Any left over hot chocolate can be refrigerated and reheated later OR once it's good and cold, add a little regular milk & use it for Chocolate Milk. Delicious!

Comments

  1. Yum! This is one of our favorite drinks, too! You're making me long for cooler days so I can justify it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect for those chilly mornings! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread