Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

Little Apple Pie Bites

I've got several boxes of apples picked from our trees last fall sitting in my garage.  They're starting to soften, so I don't care to eat a whole one, but they're still great for cooking.  I used several making filling for these little treats for Family Home Evening.  I used a purchased crust, that had been in the fridge since Christmas (Date's still good for another week - I checked!).  

The kids really liked these.  I served them with ice cream on the side, but I thought they'd be great with just a glass of milk.  They are easy to serve as an "on the go" snack.  I can see making several of these to put in the freezer for a quick and easy dessert anytime!

Little Apple Pie Bites

1 can of apple pie filling or make your own (directions below)
1 batch of pie crust or 1 box of pre-rolled pie crust dough

Roll out crust and using a biscuit cutter, cut out as many rounds as you can get. (out of 1 box of crust I got 24 rounds)  Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.  Place one dough round on a cutting board or other work surface.  Put one scant tablespoon of apple filling in the center of the round.  Place a second round over top of the filling, pull edges of top and bottom together and press around the edges with a fork. Gently move the little pie to the cookie sheet.  Continue this process with the rest of the rounds.  Brush each pie with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. (about 1 T. cinnamon to 1 C. of sugar is what I mix & keep in the cupboard for toast)  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until crust starts to brown.  Cool.

Apple Filling:

To make the filling for this from scratch, I peeled and diced several small apples. (probably the equivalent of 6 regular store apples)  Put those in a 2-3 quart saucepan, add 1/2-3/4 C. apple juice and bring to a boil.  Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes or until apple chunks are tender.  Add 1 C. sugar and 2-3 tsp. cinnamon & a sprinkle of nutmeg.  Heat back to boiling, turn to medium low and let simmer 5-10 minutes.  Dissolve 1 T. cornstarch in a couple of T. of water, add to the apples & cook until thickened.  Cool a little before using for filling.

Joy's Notes:   The pie filling was made by just tasting & adding more sugar & cinnamon until it was where I liked it.  Tweak it to your own tastes.  I would also use this same recipe for filling - minus the cornstarch, to serve as a chunky applesauce... or as a topping for ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment