Little Apple Pie Bites

I've got several boxes of apples picked from our trees last fall sitting in my garage.  They're starting to soften, so I don't care to eat a whole one, but they're still great for cooking.  I used several making filling for these little treats for Family Home Evening.  I used a purchased crust, that had been in the fridge since Christmas (Date's still good for another week - I checked!).  

The kids really liked these.  I served them with ice cream on the side, but I thought they'd be great with just a glass of milk.  They are easy to serve as an "on the go" snack.  I can see making several of these to put in the freezer for a quick and easy dessert anytime!

Little Apple Pie Bites

1 can of apple pie filling or make your own (directions below)
1 batch of pie crust or 1 box of pre-rolled pie crust dough

Roll out crust and using a biscuit cutter, cut out as many rounds as you can get. (out of 1 box of crust I got 24 rounds)  Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.  Place one dough round on a cutting board or other work surface.  Put one scant tablespoon of apple filling in the center of the round.  Place a second round over top of the filling, pull edges of top and bottom together and press around the edges with a fork. Gently move the little pie to the cookie sheet.  Continue this process with the rest of the rounds.  Brush each pie with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. (about 1 T. cinnamon to 1 C. of sugar is what I mix & keep in the cupboard for toast)  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until crust starts to brown.  Cool.

Apple Filling:

To make the filling for this from scratch, I peeled and diced several small apples. (probably the equivalent of 6 regular store apples)  Put those in a 2-3 quart saucepan, add 1/2-3/4 C. apple juice and bring to a boil.  Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes or until apple chunks are tender.  Add 1 C. sugar and 2-3 tsp. cinnamon & a sprinkle of nutmeg.  Heat back to boiling, turn to medium low and let simmer 5-10 minutes.  Dissolve 1 T. cornstarch in a couple of T. of water, add to the apples & cook until thickened.  Cool a little before using for filling.

Joy's Notes:   The pie filling was made by just tasting & adding more sugar & cinnamon until it was where I liked it.  Tweak it to your own tastes.  I would also use this same recipe for filling - minus the cornstarch, to serve as a chunky applesauce... or as a topping for ice cream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread