Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Celebrating special days can be so much fun in the kitchen!   St. Patrick's Day is an easy one especially if you're not trying to do an authentic meal.  I made Corned Beef and Cabbage last year and I was the only one who liked it.  This year we'll be more relaxed....  and have fun with GREEN.  I've got to stay at home today as I have someone coming to pick something up.  I don't know a time, so I'm planning on needing to be here all day.  THEREFORE, I need to work with things I have on hand.  (seeing as I don't always plan ahead lol)

I found a recipe for Colcannon.   You can find the description and some history on it here ...   and I'm using a recipe I found for Colcannon, here.   I have cabbage, potatoes, bacon & onion on hand - sounds easy!  I think I'll just do either pork chops or onion burgers as our main dish, a tossed GREEN salad and GREEN beans to go with it.  Who cares about needing a variety of color today?!  Our theme is GREEN!    ~:o)

Dessert was tough.  I REALLY wanted to make a Grasshopper Pie.  Alas, I don't have any of that on hand except for the eggs.  Dave was nice & shared the last sleeve of Oreo's last night.  Aw well.... another year maybe.  INSTEAD We'll be having St. Patrick's Day Trifle.  I baked a white cake from a mix - adding green food coloring to half of it.  (I used a 9x13 pan - poured 1/2 of the white batter into the pan - set the opposite edge of the pan up on a small block to tilt the pan & keep that white batter on one side.  Mixed green food coloring in the other half of the batter, set the pan level & quickly poured the green batter on the other side and baked as directed)   I'll use that cake, pistachio & vanilla puddings mixed together, and pineapple, and layer in a clear bowl.  I'll top with cool whip or whipped cream - depending on what I find in the freezer.  If nothing else, it will definitely be GREEN!   If it turns out pretty, and I remember, I'll post a picture when it's done.

Have fun finding ways to celebrate at your house!  The kids would probably be thrilled with green punch and mint ice cream!   Happy Holidays!

Comments

  1. I'm all about trifle! That's a great idea with the green food coloring and cake mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Des - you inspired me. :) I would probably prefer chocolate, but I can't figure out how to make it GREEN! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread