Aunt Lois's Marinated Tomatoes

It is just about tomato time of year here!  At least mine in the garden have a few little green tomatoes and are setting a ton of blossoms.  There's harvest hope!

I love a good, ripe tomato picked fresh from the garden.  So sweet and juicy!  So many yummy things to do with them too...  sliced thick for tomato sandwiches, diced and tossed with greens for salad, fresh salsa, canned salsa, spaghetti sauce and soups!  YUMMY!

My sweet Aunt Lois was an amazing cook.  She gave Mom the recipe for these marinated tomatoes several years ago and Mom passed it on to me.  They are wonderfully fresh tasting.  (even with store bought tomatoes - and that's saying something because I'm really biased about home grown tomatoes!)  They are quick and easy to mix up, and in the heat of summer, this cold salad is a terrific side dish.

Aunt Lois's Marinated Tomatoes

6 large tomatoes cut in wedges
1/2 C. sliced green onion

Combine the following in a shallow bowl:

1/3 C. olive oil
1/4 C. red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1/4 C. fresh minced parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 T. fresh basil (or a sprinkle of dried basil)
1/4 tsp. pepper

Mix well and add tomatoes and onions.  Stir gently to coat tomatoes with marinade.  Chill at least 2 hours or overnight.

Joy's Notes:   I really prefer fresh basil!  Dried does ok, but fresh basil & parsley make it taste just so fresh. Sometimes I add a few handfuls of feta cheese on the top just before serving.   This will keep nicely a few days in the fridge.  Someday I'm going to try adding a few other vegetables in - like summer squash and mushrooms.  If I get around to that this year I'll let you know how I like it!

Comments

  1. I never tried marinated tomatoes before. Thanks for sharing this. I will try this tomorrow. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread