Grandma's Boston Clam Chowder

When Mom first started this blog she asked if I wanted to contribute to it.  Well, I did one recipe right at first and then time always seemed to get away from me, then a broken camera, and then because of school I haven't been cooking very much.  But now I've set a goal to manage my time better and cook more plus I got a new camera (Woot woot!)  I also felt that my recipes were boring and often don't use a recipe because I'll only cook for 2 or 3.  But I figure that maybe I'll want to remember how I did certain things and sometimes you only need to cook for 2.  So here's my first of many (I hope).


This is by far mine and my family's most favorite clam chowder.  I got the recipe from my mom (Joy) who got it from her mom.  My husband begs for this soup and tells me I can make it any time.  I always make the full batch so that we have lots of leftovers for lunches the next couple days.  I would normally make some kind of biscuit like cheddar biscuits with this, but Hubby and I are doing a "Great in Eight" Challenge and cheddar biscuits would cause us to lose points and by golly we're going to win this time. LOL I hope you'll love it just as much as we do!

Grandma's Boston Clam Chowder

2 (6oz) can Chopped Clams
1 Cup Chopped Onion
1 Cup Chopped Celery
2 Cups Chopped Potato
1 qt Half & Half or 2 cans of Evaporated Milk
3/4 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Flour
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 Teaspoon Sugar


Drain juice from clams and pour over chopped vegetables in medium sized pan.  Add enough water to barely cover and cook until veggies are tender.  In the meantime, melt butter and flour.  Cook a minute or two then add cream stirring and cooking until smooth and thick.  Add vegetables, clams and sugar.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Serves 8.


Audra's Notes:  This time I only used 5/8 cup of butter (1 cube & 2 TBSP) because that's all I had , but I figure it also made it healthier, and it still tasted fabulous!! To be honest I couldn't really tell the difference.  I also used 3 cans of clams as a special treat for my Hubby.  I don't always do this because it makes it more expensive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread