Audra's Chewy Brownie Cookies

Oh my goodness!  These cookies are fantastic!  Audra has been making these cookies for several years.  She knows they're one of my favorites.  They're just so chewy, and chocolatey, and DELICIOUS!  

In case you're following my blog and don't know my family, Audra is my oldest experiment - ooops - I mean CHILD. LOL  She's married now and has her own family, with 2 of the cutest children *I've* ever seen. (next to my son Brett, who has the other 2 cutest children!)  She is a fabulous cook when she has time, and contribute here on my blog once in a while. Considering she is going to college full time, working part-time, and raising a family, it's surprising she has time to contribute at all right now!  Love you Audra!

Today Jaylyn, who is 10, was remembering the yummy chocolate, chocolate chip cookies she's had at Subway.  Particularly, I think she likes that those cookies are HUGE!  I thought I'd try making giant cookies with this recipe and it worked wonderfully.  Instead of just a cookie scoop of dough - use an ice cream scoop (about 1/4 C. ).  I flattened them out a tad with a spoon.

Audra's Chewy Brownie Cookies

1 1/3 C. shortening
3 C. brown sugar
2 T. water
2 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs
3 C. flour
2/3 C. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 C. chocolate chips
Cream the shortening, brown sugar, water and vanilla.  Add the eggs and beat well.  Add the dry ingredients except for the chocolate chips.  Mix well.  The dough is more like a brownie batter than the usual chocolate chip cookie dough.  Add chocolate chips.

Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Use about 1 T. of dough for small cookies and the above mentioned ice cream scoop or 1/4 C. for large cookies.  (I put a dozen small cookies on a sheet - and only 6 large ones)

Bake at 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes.  Cool on cookie sheets about 5 minutes before moving to cooling rack.

Joy's Notes:   I used 1 C. margarine and 1/3 C. shortening... mainly because I like the flavor better.  I also used a mix of white and regular chocolate chips... and I added walnuts.  (I'm sure Audra didn't include walnuts in the recipe because she doesn't like them, but they are yummy WITH them!)  This IS a double batch.  It would be easy to reduce the ingredients to the normal size.  From the double batch I got 12 large cookies and 4 dozen smaller ones.

These store well in a covered container... if you hide them so they CAN be stored.  :)  OH!  And don't forget a nice, big glass of ice cold milk to go with these, they're pretty rich!  Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Mm! This is definitely going to be the next cookie recipe I try! They look absolutely delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a cookie. That would satisfy any chocolate craving in an instant. I have a sweet treat linky party on my blog every Friday afternoon till Monday and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread