Sausage and Garden Vegetable Casserole

If you are like me right now, and looking for lots of ways to hide, ummm... I mean cook zucchini and other summer squash, this recipe is a delicious option.  All of my kids will eat this dish, which moves it up to the top of the list on menu's right now anyway!  Right now we are picking squash every other day.  There seems to be something about zucchini that makes it just a little too small to pick one day, and the size of your forearm the next!  One of natures miracles for sure!  LOL   

All of the veggies I used are available in the garden right now, as well as the grocery store or a farmers market if you have one close to you. If you haven't tried patty pan squash, the taste and texture are very similar to zucchini.  I think they're almost too cute to eat.  I forgot to take a picture before we demolished this dish yesterday... but rather than wait until I make it again, I decided to post now anyway. :)  Be sure you add or omit whatever veggies are available to you to make it your own.

Sausage and Garden Vegetable Casserole

2-3 10 inch zucchini, crookneck, patty pan, or other summer squash, diced (I suppose the patty pan would not be 10 inches - maybe just about the size of the spread of your hand.)
1 large onion
2 C. sliced carrots
1 lb of bulk country style sausage
8 oz. cream cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 C. milk
1 box of Stove Top stuffing mix

Brown sausage in a large frying pan.  Toss carrots and onion in with sausage and saute until they're nearly tender.  Add summer squash and cook until squash starts to soften.  Dice cream cheese and put on top of the veggie mix - put a lid on and let it warm the cream cheese a minute.  Pour the cream of chicken soup and milk over everything and stir gently to mix.   Pour into a 9x13 pan.

Mix the stuffing mix with 3/4 C. water, let sit a minute and then sprinkle it over the top of the veggie mixture.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.

Joy's Notes:  Sometimes I like to add fresh green beans or peas with this.  I also like to use diced chicken breast in place of the sausage sometimes.  The kids like the sausage best though.   One of these days I'm going to try adding a can of diced green chili's and see if we like that - I'll bet it would be pretty yummy.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread