Zucchini Relish



If you grow zucchini or live near someone who does, there is always a need for more ways to use it!  My friend AnnaRuth passed on this recipe which she says is her favorite.  I made it for the first time today.  It does taste wonderful and the texture is just right for relish.  This tastes a lot like bread & butter pickles all ground up.  :)  My Mom makes an amazing hot dog relish that isn't as sweet and uses green tomatoes as its base.  I'm hoping to try that one soon!

You can use any size zucchini, but if it's a large one, the skin should still be tender enough to pierce with your fingernail, and you'll want to remove the seeds before grinding it.  I used an electric grinder to grind my onion and zucchini.  If you don't have an actual grinder, you can use a food processor being sure to leave the veggies somewhat chunky.  Shredding it doesn't give as nice of a texture.


Zucchini Relish

10 C. zucchini, unpeeled, ground
4 C. onion, ground
5 T. salt

Mix the zucchini, onion, and salt, cover and let sit in the fridge overnight.   The next morning, drain, rinse, and drain again.   Put in a large pan and add:

1 Green pepper, finely chopped(you could probably grind this too but I like the look of the chunks)
1 red pepper, finely chopped
2 1/4 C. vinegar
4-6 C. sugar (I used 5 C. but I think next time I'd use less)
1 T. nutmeg (I used half that)
1 T. tumeric
1 T. cornstarch
2 T. celery seed
1/2 tsp. pepper (I used half that)

Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.  Fill pint jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

This was pretty easy to do.  It does have to sit overnight (or you could grind in the morning and do the rest in the evening) but it's not like you're stuck in the kitchen several hours waiting. :)   I can't wait to try this with roast beef or even chicken.  Mmmm!



Comments

  1. I am happy I found your blog; which I have in my google reader. I am going out of town for several days and hope to make this one when I get back. What I like most about your canning recipes is that you are using tried and true recipes that have gotten great reviews by family and loved ones. Thank you for taking the time to post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread