Carrot Cake, The Best EVER!

         My Mom makes the best carrot cake ever!  I grew up thinking that all carrot cake was just like hers, but I soon found that most have a lot more than carrots in them. :-)  I don't care for pineapple or raisins in carrot cake, and this recipe doesn't have it.  Perfect.

I think this cake has accompanied almost every Thanksgiving dinner (along with the assortment of pies and other desserts on the buffet) Mom hosts.   I'm not sure where she found the recipe, but I know she's used it for over 45 years - and I've never seen her have to throw a piece out.

There is not a picture to go with this yet, but my niece asked if I had Grandma's recipe, so I thought this was a terrific time to post it.  I suspect, that she might be wanting to make this for her birthday tomorrow - am I right?   I'll add a picture when I make some next week when we dig the carrots in our garden.

The Best Ever Carrot Cake

2 C. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
2 C. sugar

Mix together and then add:

3 C. shredded carrot
4 eggs
1/2 C. oil

Mix together very well.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 C. margarine
1/2 C. chopped walnuts
1/2 C. shredded coconut
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 C. powdered sugar

Mix well and spread over cooled carrot cake.

Joy's Notes:  I've used only 1/2 the coconut and it still tastes great.  I REALLY prefer to make a double batch of frosting to make it extra thick.  SO GOOD! 

Happy Birthday Maren!!!

Comments

  1. THANK YOU, Aunt Joy!!! Yes, I DO want to make it for my birthday. :D Yummy!

    I was somewhat startled to see the "9x13" pan. I'm not sure I've ever seen it as anything but a "sheetcake" so there's enough to go around! I was going to remember to ask about a different baking time for a 9x13. Now the question, for future reference, is: What is the difference for baking it in a cookie sheet?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread