Chili Sauce






This recipe is one of those childhood memory things.  I remember Mom cooking hamburger patties in this once in a while and I loved the delicious flavor it added.  I've thought about it several times since I was married, but this year I finally asked Mom for the recipe.  She said she used to love putting it on fried potatoes and different kinds of meat.  (I only remember it on hamburger patties)   My husband remembers his Mom making chili sauce as well.  He remembers her mixing it with mayonnaise to make thousand island dressing.  I had to call his Mom about it too and her recipe was basically the same as my Moms.  :)  Go figure.  She said though, that sometimes they couldn't get celery so they just used some celery seed in it for flavor.   The celery is about my favorite part of this.


In trying to figure out why this is called "chili" sauce, I did some research online and found that MOST recipes do call for some type of chili pepper.  There were a few, like Moms, that are not spicy at all.

I can't figure out how to describe what this tastes like.  It has many of the same ingredients as salsa - but is sweet and has celery.  It is sweet and savory.   I'd love to hear what other people use this for.  I can't wait to try it on some meats and see what my children think!

Mom said she got this recipe from Mrs. Slaugh years before I was born.  She thought Mr. Slaugh taught school somewhere and said they didn't stay in the community long.  I love hearing about how recipes are handed down and passed around.     I wonder if Mrs. Slaugh's family still make chili sauce?   :)

Chili Sauce

8 quarts of tomatoes, peeled and chopped
4 C. onion, chopped
2 C. green pepper, chopped
8 C. celery, diced
8 tsp. salt
4 C. sugar
4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp cloves
1 1/3 C. lemon juice or cider vinegar

Mix all ingredients and simmer on the stove until it thickens up nicely. (about the thickness of salsa)  This SHOULD make around 12 pints.   Pour into bottles and process for 20 minutes.

Joy's Notes:  I just used a 1/2 recipe.  EASY to cut in half.  (the lemon juice comes out to 2/3 C. - that was the only one you have to think about much lol )  I simmered mine until it was a little thicker than tomato sauce - I only got 5 pints.  :)

Comments

  1. Its good on steak and meatloaf. I liked it on pork chops too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should try it on meatloaf! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joy! We sure miss you guys here in Firth! I hope you are doing well! I made my family's chili sauce recipe for the first time this fall. It is so good. I added some jalapeno's from our garden because we had so many. It added a bit of a kick but not much. It still has that yummy sweet and savory flavor. My favorite way to eat it is for breakfast with toast, a fried egg, and a piece of sharp cheddar cheese. I also love it on leftover buttered mashed potatoes (no gravy). So yummy. And best of all it brings back childhood memories of mom and grandma. It smells heavenly when it is simmering on canning day. Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread