Jen's Fabulous Salsa



Each year our family (Dave and I and our children and their families) goes camping for several days the end of July.  We figure with 16 people in our family we deserve our own reunion.  LOL   Our oldest son and his wife brought along friends the first year and we just enjoy them so much we've adopted Jen and Lance as part of our reunion family!   Last year, two of our other children brought along friends, and I think we'll have to adopt THEM as part of our reunion family as well!  Our kids sure choose terrific friends!

This year during one lunch, Jen shared some salsa she'd made.  Oh. My. Goodness!!!  It is SO amazing!  Just so fresh, tangy and full of summer flavor!  I craved it so badly once we got home, I had to call Jen and get the recipe.  She was sweet and said I could share it with you on my blog.  Thanks Jen!  Oh - and she just titled this recipe "Easy Salsa".... but it's much too good for a simple name like that, so I renamed it.  Hope you don't mind Jen!

I always used to think of "salsa" as a spicy tomato based sauce with onions & peppers.  THIS salsa does have tomatoes in it, but they're only one of many delicious ingredients.  I'll put the recipe just as Jen sent it to me, and then at the end I'll add my own few alterations.

I dare you to try this and not want to make it again REALLY soon!
Jen's Fabulous Salsa

1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kernel corn, drained (not creamed corn)
2 medium tomatoes, diced (Jen removes the seeds and just uses the meaty part of the tomato, but she says that's just personal preference)
1/2 to 1 whole onion depending on how much onion you like.... diced

Mix above ingredients together and then add to taste, the following:

Avocado (Jen usually does one medium or large)
Cilantro (she says maybe 3 T. finely chopped)
Jalapeno
Salt & Pepper
Lime (1/2 to a whole one depending on how juicy it is)
Toss lightly to mix and serve with tortilla chips.

Joy's Notes:  I really like white corn rather than the regular corn in this.  I can usually only find this in the Green Giant brand around here.  Jen told me that she also puts those diced tomatoes in a strainer and rinses them so they're not so juicy.  This works really well as this is not a juicy salsa.  I like to add 2 avocados.   Jen said she dices the jalapeno really fine so it blends in well.  I didn't have a jalapeno this time and just added an anaheim chili instead.  Not quite as hot, but it works.  Last time I only had a Serrano chili... tiny, unassuming looking thing, but BOY was it HOT!  Never again.  lol

I love that this recipe is written in a way that is really easy to play with amounts and can be altered to fit your taste.  Not only is it tasty, it is so colorful!   Enjoy!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread