Scalloped Potatoes



Scalloped potatoes are one of my comfort foods.  Warm and creamy, they are terrific for cool fall evenings, or freezing winter nights.  Mom used to make this recipe once in a while during the winter.  She often served it as a side dish to ham or chicken.  I like to use it as a side dish to ham, chicken, barbeque country style ribs, OR as a main dish by adding chunks of ham or chicken on the top before baking.   Mmmmm!  It is super easy to make pretty much an entire nice meal in one oven with this.  Scalloped potatoes (in a 9x13), a roast chicken or some ribs, and on the rack under the potatoes, some winter squash.  Easy!

I'm sure we had these less when I was growing up because they use Cream of Mushroom soup, and Mom didn't buy that very often.  Sure seems like I use cream of whatever soup a lot these days!  I know there are plenty of recipes that use milk or cream, but this one is easy, and so creamy and delicious!

Tonight I made a triple batch so we could share with a neighbor.  I didn't have enough cream of mushroom soup so I used cream of chicken along with the mushroom.  It turned out fine, but I much prefer just the cream of mushroom for these potatoes.

Scalloped Potatoes

3 C. shredded or thinly sliced raw potatoes  (I prefer shredded)
1/4 C. diced onion
Place into a greased casserole dish (or a 9x13 pan).

3-4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled  (save the fat from cooking)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 T. flour
1 C. milk
salt & pepper

Add the flour to the bacon drippings and stir together over medium heat until bubbly.  Add mushroom soup and milk.  Stir until smooth.  Stir in crumbled bacon.  Add salt & pepper if you'd like.

Pour the sauce mix over the potatoes and onion.  Cover with a lid or foil and bake at 375 degrees for 60 minutes.  Uncover and cook another 15 minutes.   Serves 6.

Joy's Notes:  I often make a double batch and add diced ham or diced chicken on top to make this a main dish.  So good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread