Valentine Cupcakes with Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting


I've been wanting to make cupcakes for a while now.  Seems like I think I have to wait for a special occasion for some silly reason.  My special occasion for these are twofold....  two of the sisters I visit teach have birthday's this week (Happy Birthday SteviKay and Lorraine!) AND Valentines Day is coming up next week.

I used a basic no egg cake recipe... it is more dense and holds up better with a load of frosting on top.  I used my Whacky Cake recipe.  For the frosting, I used the Creamy Chocolate Frosting recipe on my blog for the base under the yellow flower cupcakes, and a Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting for the Valentine cupcakes.  That's the recipe I'll post here.  I thought they turned out fairly tasty. :)  Wesley, who is 3, really loves them.  He only wants to eat half though..... the TOP half.  Funny boy.

Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting

4 C. powdered sugar
1 C. softened butter
4 oz softened cream cheese

Mix until crumbly with a mixer.  Add 1/3 C. milk, 2 tsp. raspberry flavoring, 1 tsp. vanilla flavoring, and beat until light and fluffy.  It should be soft and fluffy, but stiff enough to hold its shape when piped onto the cupcake...  just check by pressing the back of a spoon into the frosting in the bowl, lift up to form a peak and see if that peak stays put fairly well.  If it doesn't - add up to 1/4 C. of powdered sugar and whip again.



Joy's Notes:  To decorate the cupcakes, I loaded the above frosting into a large decorator bag equipped with a size 12 tip.  Swirl from the outside in - EASY!  A few carefully placed Wilton heart shaped sprinkles finished these off.    The flower cupcakes I swirled chocolate icing on as a base, and then used a size 19 star tip to pull out petals.  A small swirl of chocolate again for the center.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread