Chicken and Cheese Pizza Bundles



This recipe got a thumbs up from my family!  I love when an experiment turns out!  I had some leftover chicken I needed to use but we all agree here that pepperoni and cheese with olives or ham and cheese would be terrific too.    I made my own dough but you could easily use frozen roll dough thawed for this.... you'd either need 2 portions of dough or make half sized bundles though.

To start, I had a few pieces of leftover fried chicken I bought at the store a few days ago.  Not enough for each of us to have a piece, but too much to save just for someones lunch.  I tossed that in a small pan with about an inch of water and simmered it for about 15 minutes so it was heated & would debone easy.  Any cooked chicken would work.  You just need about  2 Cups.  The dough recipe is just a modification of my favorite pizza dough recipe.  I used my Kitchen-Aid mixer to mix the dough, but it could be mixed and kneaded by hand.

Chicken and Cheese Pizza Bundles

Filling:

2 C. cooked chicken, diced 
1/2 C. onion, diced
1/2 C. celery, diced
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 C. cheese, shredded

Saute onion and celery in a little oil OR just simmer in a tad of water or broth until veggies are tender.  Mix everything except cheese with the veggies and set aside until dough is ready.

Dough:

1 1/4 C. warm water
1 T. yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 T. oil (olive oil is great!)
3 C. flour

Mix water, yeast, and sugar.  Let sit 5 minutes unless you're using instant yeast.  Add salt, oil, and flour, mix. Knead until smooth - about 2 minutes in the mixer or a little more by hand. Dough should be firm yet pliable.  Let dough rest 10 minutes.

Split dough into 6 pieces.  Press one section of dough out into a rectangle.  Place about 1/3 C. filling in a strip down the rectangle.  Sprinkle with about 2-3 T. of cheese leaving the edges of the dough uncovered. 



Pull sides of dough up around filling and press together to form a seal on top.  Set on greased cookie sheet.

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Bake bundles for 15 minutes or until browned.  Serve warm. Enjoy!









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread