Old Fashioned Lemon Pound Cake




Pound cake has always intimidated me.  I have no idea why, it just does.  However, I love to EAT pound cake! I'm not a lover of light, crumbly cake such as you get from a cake mix... I much prefer a heavier, moist cake and this fits that description perfectly! There are very few dishes that I love to eat that I don't learn to make at home.  I did try a recipe for graham crackers once.  I'll keep buying those in the store thank-you-very-much. 

Between my New Years resolution to try a new recipe each week, and my love for browsing foods on Pinterest, I worked up the courage to give pound cake another try.  (I did try regular pound cake many years ago with less than desirable results... fail, fail, fail!)  I have had some lemons sitting in my fridge for a couple of months, so when I found a beautiful picture of an Old Fashioned Lemon Pound Cake on Pinterest, I knew this was the new recipe for the week!  I was happy to finally have a reason to try out my "new" Pampered Chef lemon zester! (Which has been sitting in my kitchen drawer at least 2 years.) It works terrific! 

You can find the recipe for this delicious cake at RecipeLion.   The recipe there does not suggest a glaze, but I love the glaze!  So, seeing as I still had plenty of lemon left from the one I used for the cake recipe, I made a glaze to adorn my lemon pound cake. 

Glaze for lemon pound cake:

1 1/2 C. powdered sugar
juice from 1 lemon

Stir together until smooth.  Add a teaspoon or two of water if you need to thin it enough to stir.  It will be thickish.   Spread on the top of the pound cake while still hot.  It's ok to spread it right after you turn it out of the bundt pan and then set it upright on a plate.   As it cools it hardens into a delicious, tangy, crusty topping. 

Beware that this cake tends to stick in the pan. Or at least mine did.  I loosened it with a thin plastic spatula and still had it stick on the very bottom of the pan in a few spots.  I did not "grease and flour" the pan though, I always used Bak-Klene to spray my pan.  It works awesome, even on those shaped cake pans that are hard to grease.  I've made many wedding cakes and had no problems with them releasing when I use this product.  (I do sell this through Alison's Pantry by the way... if you live nearby and would like some, let me know!)  I don't know why this stuck even with the Bak-Klene this time.  Heavy, sugar-filled batter maybe?

This lemony cake was perfect for brightening a drab weather day!  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread