Pickled Beets




Pickled beets are one of the most colorful additions to a relish tray that you could ask for!  I like sliced pickled beets on salads.  I like them as a side for a holiday or special occasion meal.  I can eat store-bought pickled beets, but I MUCH prefer home canned ones.  These are easy. 

I got this recipe from my Mom.  I remember her making them for several years.  Turns out it is my sister-in-law Lanette's recipe. (The very same Lanette of Lanette's Cinnamon Rolls that I've posted a few years ago!  YUM!  You can trust Lanette!)  It is not spicy, which I love, and couldn't be easier.   Golf ball or smaller sized beets are nice for these if you want them whole, but I quarter, sixth, or cube if my beets have gotten too big.   The syrup recipe makes enough for 2-4 pints depending on how tightly you pack the beets.  

Enjoy!

Lanette's Pickled Beets

Freshly picked beets.  Cut tops off leaving about an inch of stem.  Wash to remove dirt.  Place in large pan and cover with water.  Bring to boil and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.  Remove from heat, set in sink and let cold water run over them until they are cool enough to handle.  Slip off skin and place in jars (cutting if necessary).

Add 1/2 tsp. of salt to each pint of beets (I sometimes use jelly jars and just add 1/4 tsp.)

In saucepan, place 2 C. cider vinegar and 2 C. white sugar.  Bring to boil.   Pour syrup over beets.  Place prepared lids and rings on.  Process in boiling water bath for 10-15 minutes.

Joy's Notes:   Be sure you label these!  They look an awful lot like grape jelly.  I promise they will not spread on toast or pbj's very well at all!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread