Crock pot Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken





Several years ago on the Frugal Families forum I'm a member of, someone posted a favorite crock pot recipe called Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken.   The thought of garlic and brown sugar was NOT my idea of a good mix!  I gave it a try though since it was getting such good reviews and I was totally wrong!  Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken is so delicious!  

I love using my crock pot on busy days.  Monday's I get home from work about 15 minutes before our usual dinner time.  I'm tired and everyone is hungry!  Having a nice meal already cooked is a wonderful thing to come home to.  All you need to add on this recipe is rice.  Minute rice or rice precooked and reheated with a little water would be easy enough.  I'm only gone from 3:00 - 6:00 so I can put my rice in my rice cooker and it cooks and stays nice and warm until we're ready to eat.   

I love eating Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken with quinoa in place of the rice but most of my family are not huge quinoa fans (yet) so I make rice for them and quinoa for me.  (Two rice cookers are pretty handy as quinoa cooks much like rice and turns out perfectly done in a rice cooker!)

Crock Pot Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken

4-6 boneless chicken breasts
1 C. packed brown sugar
2/3 C. cider vinegar
1/4 C. lemon-lime soda (or water)
3 T. minced garlic
1/4 C. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. black pepper

2 T. cornstarch
2 T. water
red pepper flakes optional

Spray crock pot with cooking spray.  Place chicken in crock pot (you may want to cut pieces in half).  Mix together brown sugar, vinegar, soda, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper.  Pour over chicken.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.  Ladle most of the liquid into a sauce pan.  Mix cornstarch and water, blend with cooking liquid and bring to a boil to thicken.  Pour slightly thickened sauce back over chicken.   Serve over rice or quinoa.  Add red pepper flakes if desired just before serving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread