Perfect Poppy Seed Dressing





Summer is coming bringing warmer weather and the stronger desire for cool salads.  This sweet and tangy Poppy Seed Dressing is perfect drizzled on your choice of greens.  Last night we enjoyed this on a grilled chicken salad and today I've just tossed some sliced strawberries and almonds on romaine.  

This recipe is SO inexpensive per batch, particularly if you have the ingredients already on hand.  The only thing I had to buy this time was the poppy seeds.  I figured it cost me somewhere around $1.60 and it makes a generous 3 cups of dressing.

My sweet Mom shared this with me several years ago and I've no idea where she found this recipe but it has certainly become my favorite!   


Perfect Poppy Seed Dressing

3 T. chopped onion
2/3 C. white vinegar
2 tsp. ground, dry mustard
1 tsp. salt
1-2 tsp. poppyseeds
1 C. sugar

2 C. oil

Blend the first 6 ingredients well in the blender.  Slowly add the oil while the blender is running at medium to high speed until it is well incorporated and the dressing is smooth.   Chill before using.  Store in refrigerator.

Joy's Notes:  I like to use 2 teaspoons of poppy seeds - I add one with the first part to be blended and the second teaspoon I add after the oil is blended in so that some of the seeds stay whole.  I have used 1 1/2 C. oil and then a few tablespoons of water rather than the whole 2 cups of oil - but I like it best with the recipe as is written above.  Mmmm!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread