Hearty Chicken and Lentil Stew




These cold, windy days make a soup or stew so inviting!  Hubby and I are trying to make some healthy changes to our diet and this hearty stew is perfect for filling up without filling out!

I love the earthy, peppery, flavor of lentils.  My mother fixed them some when I was growing up, my favorite recipe of hers was a Lentil Casserole with hamburger and the seasonings of baked beans.  It was delicious!  If I had had kale or spinach on hand I would have thrown some of that in at the end of cooking to add color and nutrition, but I was out of fresh greens.  Play around with the veggies all you want in this stew and you'll find which ones you love best!

Hearty Chicken and Lentil Stew

1-2 chicken breast, boneless, diced
2 quarts chicken broth (or 2 quarts of water and chicken bouillon)
1 1/4 C. lentils (I use red)

Brown chicken in a tablespoon or so of olive oil.  Add chicken broth and lentils and bring to a boil.  Simmer for around 40 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.

Add:

1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 C. sliced carrots
1 C. sliced celery
1/2 C. chopped onion
1/4 C. chopped pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme or 1 T. fresh chopped thyme

Bring back to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.  

Add:

1 1/2 C. cubed winter squash or sweet potato
(this is where I'd add a handful of spinach or kale if you choose)

Cook until all veggies are tender, about 10 more minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread