Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder

 






We've just finished with our latest snowstorm.  I really wanted to say that was our LAST of the season snowstorm, but it's still March and we had a snowstorm in May last year!   The BEST part of winter for me, is that it's Soup Season!  I LOVE soup! (… and chowder! Soup and Chowder will be used interchangeably in this post!)  I could eat it several times a week.   A delicious bowl of steaming soup just soothes all of the rough, cold, places in your soul.   


Lately I've needed a generous portion of soul soothing!  Corn Chowder is one of my childhood favorites.  My Mom had a recipe I've never seen anywhere else. The only thickener used is saltine crackers crushed and soaked in milk.  Perhaps it was a depression era recipe as it is very basic and thrifty!  Recently, I wanted a soup that also used chicken (more protein) and I've had a bunch of veggies on hand that need used.  This Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder was the perfect comfort food and was fairly simple to make.  I often cook without measuring, but this time, I wrote things down as I added them so I could recreate it if it was good, and I'm glad I did!  Definitely a make-it-again soup.

I'll share links from a few of our other favorite soups below, as well as the link to breads to go with!


Grandma's Boston Clam Chowder

White Bean Chili

Country Mushroom Soup

Hearty Taco Soup

French Bread

Bread Bowls




Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder

1/2 C. Carrot, diced

1/2 C. Celery, diced

1 C. Onion, diced

2 C.  Potato, diced (I prefer Russets)

1 clove garlic (optional)

2 C. Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast, diced

2 C. Corn, frozen

2 T. Olive Oil

4 C. Chicken Broth (or water and bouillon mixed to equal)

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 pound bacon, slice into 1/2 inch pieces

1/2 C. butter

1/2 C. flour

2 C. Cream (or canned milk)

Salt and Pepper to taste

Begin with a 4-6 quart pan.  Sauté the carrot, celery, onion, potato and garlic (if using) for a few minutes.  Add diced chicken and sauté another 5 minutes or so.  Pour in the chicken broth, corn, and salt.  Bring to a boil, turn to simmer and cook for 10-13 minutes or until your vegetables are tender.

In a separate pan, fry your pieces of bacon until crisp.  Save a few pieces aside for garnish if you'd like, otherwise set aside to mix in when soup is finished.  Make a roux.  Leave bacon drippings and in this same pan, over low heat, add your butter and flour (you can add a couple more tablespoons of flour to this if you prefer a very thick soup),  and stir until bubbly and mixed well.  Add 2 cups of cream and continue to stir until it is well combined and thickens. Careful!  It spits as it gets thick!

Add your creamy mixture to the chicken, vegetables, and broth.  Mix well and bring to just under a simmer.  It should thicken well.  Add bacon pieces and salt and pepper to taste.  Garnish with bacon if desired. Serve hot with a hearty bread or even more fun, serve in bread bowls! 

Enjoy!



Joy's Notes:  I almost always cook using what I have on hand.  When I don't have cream, canned milk is a fair replacement.  I prefer cream, but in a pinch... canned milk will do.            



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread