Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

Reaping the Harvest - Chicken Vegetable Soup


I LOVE wandering through the garden this time of year and gathering ingredients for dinner, and luckily it's cool enough today to make Chicken Vegetable Soup!  Our garden got a late start this year due to weather and a busy schedule, but it's going gangbusters now!    The other day I canned 19 1/2 quarts of green beans (which gives me 60 quarts and 21 pints on the shelf) and 7 quarts of dill pickles (bringing me up to 35 jars of dills).  Tomorrow we'll be doing lots of applesauce.  I only have 20 quarts left and we go through 1 1/2 quarts at a time, so I'm hoping to get 70-80 quarts of applesauce this year.  I should probably pick & can green beans again tomorrow as well.... I might just check & see if they'll hold off until Monday.

Oops, a little side tracked there. :)  Back to dinner....

Last night we had roast chicken, so today, I'll use what's left of that, simmer & debone, and I'll wander through my garden to add:  potatoes, carrots, onion, zucchini, tomatoes, and a little swiss chard.... there might even be some corn I could add!  I'll toss the vegetables (diced), broth, chicken, and some chicken soup base in the crockpot.  Depending on how that tastes, I might cut some thyme from McKay's herb garden to flavor it.  I've got a loaf of homemade french bread in the freezer that will go great with this soup!

McKay (my 14 year old son) has a cross country race this afternoon.  It will be WONDERFUL to come home from that race, right at dinnertime, to a hearty meal that's all ready for us.  Easy, economical, and delicious!

Dessert tonight will be rich, moist, Zucchini Brownies!!!   YUMMY!

3 comments:

  1. Did you use one of your chickens too? If so that's pretty much a storeless meal, minus the salt & chicken soup base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, well, look who's back to posting. :) Please DO get sidetracked...I'm not canning at all this year so I enjoy keeping up with everyone else's progress.

    Jan from FF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan - I'm easily side tracked. lol

    Audra - I still can't eat those chickens we butchered yet. Give me a few weeks. :)

    This soup did turn out great. Mmmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete