Strawberry Rhubarb Syrup


I love Strawberry Rhubarb Syrup!  It's such a beautiful color and tastes fabulous on pancakes, waffles, or ice cream.  One of the best things about this recipe is that it doesn't use actual strawberries, but just strawberry flavored gelatin to create the traditional strawberry rhubarb blend of flavors.  So many people have nice rhubarb plants that go unused every year... mine included sometimes, don't be afraid to ask a neighbor if they have extra rhubarb to share. 

I can't remember if I got the recipe from Mom or someone else, but it is my favorite way to use rhubarb.  I borrow my Mom's juicer to make rhubarb juice, but if that wasn't available, I would just cut up a good portion of rhubarb (cleaned and rinsed) in 1 inch sections, put it in a large pot, add 3-4 C. of water and simmer until the rhubarb gets mushy.  Strain that through a colander with cheese cloth and as long as you end up with 8 cups of juice - you're ready to go!  (I've had to simmer a second batch sometimes to get enough juice)

Today Audra and I made a double batch of syrup. We used my pressure canner (without the lid of course) to cook it.  The syrup does foam up quite a bit as it boils so be sure to use an extra large pan.  We ended up with 7 pints and 3 quarts of glistening red syrup!  Mmmm!!!  I wish I had some vanilla ice cream on hand to try it out!

Strawberry Rhubarb Syrup

8 C. rhubarb juice
1 pkg pectin
7 C. sugar
1 3 oz pkg strawberry gelatin
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix the sugar and gelatin powder together and set aside.  In a large pot, blend rhubarb juice and pectin until well mixed.  Bring juice to a boil.  Add sugar mixture, bring to a boil again and boil 1 minute.  Add vanilla.  Remove from heat.  If the foam on top bothers you, skim it off with a large spoon.  Pour carefully into clean canning jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  Remove and cool several hours.  Ration cautiously - it disappears fast!

If you are able to use this whole batch at once, as gifts or for a party you wouldn't need to can it.  It will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks easy. (I treat it the same as I would jelly)  Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Does this stay in juice form or does it thicken up to jelly form?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever froze this syrup? Gelatin alone would not remain jelled, bur with the pectin would this syrup separate when thawed?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread