Easy Breezy Freezer Jam!

There is nothing better on a slice of toast than strawberry or raspberry freezer jam. This is not open to debate. LOL! I love the ease of freezer jam and especially I LOVE the fresh from the garden look and taste.

I prefer to use MCP Pectin. I've tried others & MCP is just what I'm most comfortable with. I've used it so much I could almost make jam in my sleep. I just follow the insert in the box of pectin, but in case you need to know amounts before you run to the store, I'll post those here.

You need:

3 1/4 C. of crushed berries (I just take the tops off, rinse, and then mash them with a potato masher if they're from the garden - if I bought berries from the store, I use my pastry blender to cut them up)
1/4 C. fresh lemon juice (I don't always put this in - but the jam sets up firmer if you do)
4 1/2 C. sugar
1 C. light corn syrup
1 pkg MCP pectin

The directions are easy... mix your berries & lemon juice in a LARGE bowl. Add your box of pectin & stir until dissolved and then let set 30 minutes stirring every 5 minutes. Pour in the 1 C. of corn syrup, mix well. Stir in the sugar gradually and continue stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Pour into prepared freezer containers, let stand at room temperature for 24 hours and then freeze. (I follow the old method where you dump all the sugar in at once, stir until there are not lumps, let set on the counter & stir occasionally until all sugar is dissolved & then pour into containers)

The recipe says this keeps in the fridge up to 3 weeks, but I wouldn't know, a pint container of this jam rarely lasts more than a few days at our house. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread