Zucchini Frittata

I love harvesting from our garden right now.  A few vegetables are done producing, but most are still on.  (where we live anyway)  I'm always looking for ways to use zucchini and a frittata is a great way to enjoy it!  I looked on Wikipedia and it says that a frittata is a type of Italian omelet.  I didn't know that, I only remember my cousins wife who is from Spain, showing me how to make a potato frittata when I was young(er).  This is more directions than a recipe.  Play with it and make it your own. :)





Zucchini Frittata

zucchini
eggs
salt & pepper
tomato for garnish if desired

For just myself for lunch I use an 8 inch cast iron skillet, enough slices of zucchini to make 2 layers and 3 eggs. (Yes, I'll probably die from high cholesterol, but so far so good... and I don't eat 3 eggs every day)  If you have a mind to share your frittata (to each his own!), cut it into wedges like a pie and serve.

Heat your pan on medium.  layer slices of zucchini, salt lightly and cover with lid.  Cook about 5 minutes or until they appear tender.   Beat eggs in a bowl, salt, and pour over zucchini.  Lift the bottom slices of zucchini with a fork to let the egg run under.  Put lid on, turn heat down to medium low, and cook until egg is mostly set.  If you need to, turn on the broiler in your oven & set the pan under that for a minute or two to finish setting the tops of the egg.  Slide frittata out onto a plate, top with tomatoes if desired.  Cheese would be a good topping as well, but I prefer mine without.

There are so many  vegetables that would be good in this...  potatoes, onion, spinach or chard, broccoli.  Your imagination is your limit. (or possibly your kids are your limit if you have picky ones like a couple of mine :) )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread