60 Minute Rolls

Dh's Grandma was famous for her rolls.  She always brought the rolls to Thanksgiving and other family dinners and those rolls disappeared FAST!  She submitted this recipe for our family cookbook, and I grew to love it!  I found out later that this is not the recipe she made most of the time, but I trust her judgment and if it was good enough to submit, it is good enough for me!  :o)  I sure miss having her here to call for help on a recipe or just to chat.  From start to finish this takes me almost 90 minutes only because I  bake one sheet of rolls at a time.  I could put both in the oven at once but I don't think they brown evenly that way.  These freeze well.  My photo would have looked better with the rolls piled up in a basket, but today these rolls were for a luncheon after a funeral.  They are transported easier on the baking sheets.

You'll want a mixer that can handle 10 cups of flour, OR just mix them up by hand.  If you cut the recipe in half, just use 2 medium eggs instead of 3 large.

Grandma's 60 Minute Rolls

3 C. very warm water
3/4 C. sugar
6 T. yeast
1 T. salt
1 C. vegetable oil
3 large eggs
10 - 10 1/2 C. flour  (you can do half whole wheat flour if you like)

Mix water, yeast and sugar together.  Let stand 5 minutes.  Add oil, salt and eggs; stir.  Add 5 C. white flour and beat well.  Add 5 1/2 C. flour (or whole wheat flour if you'd like) and mix well.  (to make both white and whole wheat rolls from the same batch, before adding the second 5 cups of flour, divide dough in half.  To one half add 2 3/4 C. white flour, to the other half add 2 3/4 C. whole wheat flour.)   Let stand 10 minutes.  Make into desired shaped rolls.  Dip each roll in melted butter or margarine before putting on well greased cookie sheet.  Let rise until almost double.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.  Makes about 60 2 inch rolls.

Joy's Note:  I don't dip my rolls in butter before baking.  I do rub butter on them after they bake sometimes.  Most of the time I just form the rolls into a ball and on a large cookie sheet I put 2 dozen.  If you like your rolls to rise taller, put the dough closer together - like maybe 5 across and 7 down rather than 4 across and 6 down.  I usually get about 40 rolls that are about tennis ball sized. (a flat tennis ball, but nevertheless lol )

Holidays are coming up!  Now's a great time to practice a batch of rolls before the big day.  :o)   Left over rolls, if you have any, are terrific for turkey and ham sandwiches as you use up those leftovers!  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread