Apple Cake


Last night we had snow.  Today my son and husband were busy picking apples to bring in before the hard freeze we're supposed to get tonight.  I think they've picked about 2 bushel so far!  One delicious way to use fresh, crisp apples is in Apple Cake!  This will make a 9x13 pan.  It's as good or even better the next day and since it has basically the same ingredients as the Cinnamon Streusel Apple Muffins I make, I figure if there is cake left over, the kids can have cake for breakfast!  (Aren't I just about the nicest Mom...  just wait until they tell their school teacher's Mom gave them cake for breakfast. lol )

Every time I peel apples for recipes like this, I remember reading somewhere, I swear it was in the Little House Books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, that peeling an apple without the string of peel breaking, was a sought after skill.   I wish someone would find that source and tell me if that's where I read it.  Maybe it's time to get my Little House in the Big Woods book out & start hunting for it myself. :)   The beginning of winter I always want to read Little House in the Big Woods anyway. 

On to the recipe!


Apple Cake

4 C. apples, diced and peeled
3 eggs
2 C. sugar
1/2 C. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 C. chopped walnuts (optional)

Beat eggs until light and fluffy.  Gradually add sugar, oil and vanilla.  Mix dry ingredients and add to the egg and sugar mixture.  Stir in apples and nuts.   Bake in a greased 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.  The toothpick test won't work on this cake as it gets a crusty sort of top while it bakes.  The color should be a golden brown though.  When it's done, pull it out of the oven and cool.  When cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.  Sprinkle the top with chopped walnuts if you'd like.

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
3 T. butter
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 C. powdered sugar

Mix until smooth and spread on your cooled cake. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread