Apple Crisp

You may have noticed my blogging has slowed down the past week or so.  I've decided to try a sewing project.  Partly to prove you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. lol  I cook.... I don't sew.  (at least not very well)  I'm nearly done though, only a few seams unpicked, a few pin stabbings, and only once had the urge to say a bad word. (and I even resisted that!)  lol  Soon we'll get back to our regular hobby of cooking.

Apple Crisp.  You know, when I was younger, the only part I liked was the crisp part on top.  Okay - so that was pretty much up until now.  The apples were always just a little too tart for my taste and often too firm, I like them almost mushy.  SO... with my need to figure out ways to use apples right now, I decided to fiddle with the recipe and see if I could make a crisp that I like, fruit and all.  I DO like apple pie filling - so I thought I'd treat the sliced apples the same as if I were making a pie and added sugar, cinnamon and flour to them before adding the topping, and baked it a little longer.  It turned out great, if I DO say so myself!  The crisp was sweet and crisp - the filling was tender and sweet.  UmmmmYUMMMY!   Even my picky little girls asked for seconds.  It was gone before I remembered to take a picture.  Maybe you'd like to give this a try....

Apple Crisp

4 C. apple slices (peeled and cored)
1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 T. flour


Put sliced apples into a greased 8x8 pan.  Mix sugar, cinnamon and flour and mix in with apples.  Prepare topping:


3/4 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 C. quick oats
1/2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C. melted butter or margarine


Mix the above all together and then sprinkle over apples.  Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender.  Cool slightly and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.


Joy's Notes:  A nice, firm, slightly tart apple works best for this.   The topping is good just sprinkled on ice cream too. Mmmm!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread