Peek-a-boo Eggs - Kids in the Kitchen

We used to call these Toad in a Hole, but after a little research on the internet, I found that Toad in a Hole is a traditional English dish with sausages in a batter. :)  Respectfully, we've renamed one of our favorite breakfasts... to Peek-a-boo Eggs.  (In asking around online at Frugal Families, and in real life, I find we are not the only family that used the name toad in a hole incorrectly. lol )

Peek-a-boo Eggs are a great dish for kids to fix for themselves.  I did help turn the eggs over, but the girls each buttered the bread, cut the hole, and cracked the egg.  If you use a larger skillet, you can do more than one at a time and fry the "hole" at the same time.

Peek-a-boo Eggs

Slices of bread
eggs
butter or margarine, softened

Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat.  Butter one side of the bread, use a biscuit cutter (or any round cutter) to cut a hole out of the middle of the bread.  Place bread butter side down in skillet.  Break 1 egg into the hole, salt and pepper.


  Let bread and egg fry until the whites of the egg are set (check your heat - you might have to turn it down a little bit!)  then use a spatula to turn it over.  Fry until yolk is firm.  If you didn't have room to fry the circle of bread you cut out, remove Peek-a-boo Egg and fry that circle now, turning to brown both sides. (one side will brown better than the other because it has butter on it)  Place "hole" over the egg part of the Peek-a-boo Egg.  Serve warm.


Joy's Note:  You can butter both sides of the bread, but I find it messy and unnecessary really. If you want to get really ambitious, you can use other shapes of cookie cutters to cut out the hole.  Be sure there's enough room for at least a medium sized egg to fit in there though.  We also prefer to break the yolk when we first break the egg into the hole.  You can decide which way you like best.  If you cover the pan with a lid for part of the cooking time, it will cook faster.

Comments

  1. We called it egg in a hole :) I actually only butter one side, but I also melt a litte butter in the pan before I put anything in, then put the dry side down so it sucks up the melted butter. We're yolk breakers around here too :) I'll have to let my girls try this one, maybe make it festive with a pumpkin cookie cutter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you use a cast iron skillet or just the standard no stick?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wannabe chef - we use whatever skillet we fancy that day. :) I have a couple of old cast iron skillets that are virtually non-stick so if I'm doing one at a time, I'd prefer that one. Otherwise, I have a big non-stick skillet that can fit 4 peek-a-boo eggs at once in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 5 cast iron skillets ranging from 12" down to 4" and 2 12 quart dutch ovens and one 2 quart sauce pan as well as a cheap non-stick set bought from wal-mart for 18 bucks as you can see from my blog I prefer cast iron. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread