Blueberry Banana Bread


I had 3 freckly banana's on the counter and figured I'd make them into banana bread soon.  My daughter was reading through a cookbook and mentioned blueberry banana bread and that sounded like a fun new twist to the usual recipe!


I decided to just alter the recipe I usually use...I'm still trying to add more whole grains into our diet, so I used part whole wheat flour in this.  I also reduced the margarine by 3 T. and added some applesauce. (both to help replace the margarine and because I was about 1/2 C. short on banana's)  We really like the results!  The blueberries make it more moist and the flavors blend really well. YUMMY!  The only thing I had a problem with was that the blueberries settled to the bottom half of the loaf for the most part... but they WERE, giant sized berries.  Maybe smaller berries would stay put better.  I did a 2 loaf batch and post that amount - easy to cut in half if you only need one loaf.

Blueberry Banana Bread

1 C. sugar
1/2 C. margarine
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 C. milk
3 1/2 C. flour (I used 1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour)
2 C. mashed banana
1/4-1/2 C. applesauce
a couple of handfuls of fresh or frozen blueberries
chopped nuts if desired

Cream margarine and sugar.  Add eggs and beat well.  Add milk.  Mix all dry ingredients in separate bowl.  Add to creamed mixture.  Add banana's and applesauce.  Mix until well blended.   Stir in blueberries.  Grease 2 loaf pans.  Divide batter between pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.  Test with toothpick too see if center is done.  Cool and slice to serve.

Joy's Notes:  If you use a smaller loaf pan and the batter is deeper, it MAY need another 5 minutes or so of baking to get done all the way through. I mix this in my KitchenAid.  Because it can handle a heavier load, I just peel the banana's and add the whole thing and let the mixer mash it.  If you are using a lighter mixer, try mushing the banana up in the peel before you open it.  Not TOO hard, just gently and usually that's good enough. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread