Hearty Red Potato Soup


Due to the below ZERO temperatures we've been having, I've had such a hankering for soup!  I've been trying to use ingredients on hand for our meals this month... and I've got a TON of potatoes stored in the garage. Okay... so actually only about 150 lbs, but still, a substantial amount.  Most of those potatoes are good old Idaho Russets, BUT, I have 1 burlap bag of beautiful red potatoes grown in our garden this summer.   So, in remembrance of warmer times, we enjoyed this Hearty Red Potato Soup for dinner.  Mmmmm!   


I got this recipe from Gracie on the Frugal-Families website.  She said she doesn't remember where she found it and she mentioned she has used broccoli in place of the peas.   My family loves this soup.  My 14 year old son thinks it tastes ALMOST as good as creamed new peas and potatoes. (and THAT's quite a compliment!)


If you're out of red potatoes or they are hard to find, a regular potato would work just fine.  The red skin peeking through the cream sure looks pretty though.  Hope you enjoy!

Hearty Red Potato Soup

2 C.  red skin potatoes, cubed
2 T. butter
1/4 C. chopped green pepper
1/2 C. chopped celery
1/4 C. chopped onion
2 T. flour
1/2 C. milk
1 C. chicken broth
3/4 C. frozen peas (or fresh if it's the right season - but they why would you be fixing soup? :) )
1 C. milk  (in addition to the 1/2 C. listed above)
1 C. light cream
salt & pepper

Boil cubed potatoes with skins on; drain and set aside.

In saucepan melt butter.  Saute' pepper, celery and onion until tender.  Combine flour with 1/2 C. milk.  Add to the vegetables in pan.  Cook until thickened.  Add chicken broth and peas; bring to boil for 1 minute.  Add the cup of milk and cup of cream.  Heat but do not boil.  Add cooked potatoes to mixture.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve immediately.

Joy's Notes:  I double this for my family of 6.  In the recipe above I also doubled the flour and butter that it called for... makes a little thicker soup.  I never buy chicken broth.  I just use bouillon mixed with water for the amount of broth I need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread