Menu Planning

I have a love/hate relationship with menu planning.  I'm often a Fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants sort of girl. Especially concerning cooking.  I cook what I FEEL like cooking most days.  Makes for difficult decisions on days I DON'T feel like cooking.  Know what I mean?  I've planned menu's several different ways....  monthly, weekly (possibly weakly? lol ), a list of 20 meals to pick from for a month, etc.  They all work as long as I stick to them.  

Menu planning is good for my budget.  Allows me to easily work with what I have in my freezer and pantry.  Let's me know ahead what I need from the grocery store, so as to avoid aimless wandering.  Gives more opportunity for family input on what we eat.  Just this morning we came to a compromise on soups... the little girls agreed if I made one of their favorites this week, they'd try to eat one of my favorites next week! On days I don't feel like cooking, I don't have to think.  I just have to cook.  :) 

One thing that has helped with menu planning in the past, is to assign certain nights to certain types of food.  Tuesday is always Soup Night.  A weekend night is often home made pizza.  Sunday's are most often a more formal meal.  I'm not a die-hard about switching things around a little, but it helps with ideas.

I'm ready to let menu planning simplify life again.  I thought I'd try posting my weekly menu's here through February and see how it goes.  I will be doing a week at a time so I can work off of grocery ads from the previous week.  I will only be planning dinners.  Breakfast depends on how much energy I wake up with... and lunch is often leftovers.  Here we go!!!

Menu February 1-7

Monday - Meatloaf, potato patties, green beans, fruit salad.

Tuesday - Cream of Potato soup, french bread, orange slices.

Wednesday - Chicken and Vegetable Stir-fry over rice, apple slices.

Thursday - French Bread pizza (using a loaf of hm french bread from Tuesday's menu)

Friday - Ham & Bean soup, Kentucky Biscuits, applesauce

Saturday - Leftovers from the week.

Sunday - Hawaiian Haystacks unless the family rebels and requires the usual Super Nacho's for Superbowl Sunday.  Possibly apple pie for dessert.

I may decide to make a list each week of after school treats and desserts to make.  We'll see how this week goes.

Comments

  1. thanks for the inspiration. meal planning is my worst nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a "planner" anyway so meal planning helps me out tons! Especially since I'm not very good @ just finding stuff & throwing it together to make something yummy. I'm a big fan of meal planning! Hey, maybe it should be an enrichment... sounds like Des would come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd come! :) I'd love to just see what other people eat. New ideas. I've been thumbing through the ward cookbook trying to find some inspiration for next weeks menu.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread