Jam/Jelly Squares

Today I thought I'd give a new recipe a try!  I often prefer to use recipes I nearly have memorized, just because it's quick & easy, but today... I felt like trying something a little different.  Gallo on Frugal Families (my favorite frugal website!), posted this cookie recipe for Jam/Jelly Squares.  I had some bottled jam that needed used, so it was the perfect recipe to try.  Gallo was sweet and gave me permission to share this recipe with you!  She said she's made it for her family for years and doesn't remember where it came from.  (that's how many of my recipes are as well!)

They were easy to make and tasted terrific!  I'd definitely make them again.  In fact, I probably should make more jam & jelly just to be sure I have enough for this recipe!  I'll bet it would be delicious with my currant jelly.  Mmmm!

Jam/Jelly Squares

2 C. flour
2 C. rolled oats
1 1/2 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 C. margarine
1 1/2 C. jam or jelly

Mix the flour, oats, sugar and baking soda.  Cut in the margarine until the mixture is coarse crumbles.  Reserve 1 cup of this mixture for the topping.  Press the rest of the mixture into a 9x13 baking pan.  Spread on the jam.  Sprinkle the reserved topping.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until lightly browned.  Cool and cut into bars.

Joy's Note:   My dry mix looked REALLY dry before I pressed it into the pan.  I was skeptical as to whether it would turn out... but after baking, it was perfect.  I also used cooking spray on my pan so the jelly wouldn't stick. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread