Ratatouille



Ratatouille! (pronounced "rat-a-too-ee") I love this wonderful blend of garden vegetables.  I took a minute and researched ratatouille online and found that there are a lot of ways people make this. Different methods of assembly and an assortment of different herbs and seasonings.  One way is to saute all the vegetables together (as my recipe does), another has you saute each vegetable separately and then add to a pot all together to simmer, and the third is to saute each veggie individually and then layer in a casserole dish and bake.   I tend to always lean to the easy preparation methods and this recipe does that!

Mom gave me this recipe along with a little dish of freshly cooked ratatouille several years ago.  It tasted so good I had to make it for my family.  I've no idea where she found the recipe, but it was a good find!

When I set this on the table the other night and told my younger girls the name of it, they immediately thought of the animated movie from a few years ago.  I have to admit, the name of that movie associated with loving this recipe is the main reason I watched it when it came out.  :)   

My zucchini is slowing production right now so I used 1 zucchini and a small yellow summer squash and a small patty pan squash instead.  Sometime I'm going to try adding some fresh basil, but I do love this recipe just as it is.  

Ratatouille

1 medium eggplant, cut into 3 inch long strips about 1/2 inch wide
2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 tsp. salt, divided
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 medium green pepper sliced into strips
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 medium firm tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/4 C. chopped parsley
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 C. olive oil

Combine eggplant, zucchini, and 1 tsp. of the salt in a large bowl.  Let stand 30 minutes.  Drain, and dry on paper towel.  Saute eggplant and zucchini in 1/4 C. of the olive oil 1-2 minutes each side.  Remove from pan and set aside.  Cook onions and green pepper until tender.  Stir in garlic.  Place tomato wedges on top and cook for 5 minutes.  Add the eggplant and zucchini, parsley, and 1 tsp. salt and a few shakes of pepper.  Simmer covered for 20 minutes and then uncover and simmer for another 5 minutes.  Serve warm!

This recipe makes a large batch.  It is usually served as a side dish, but would make a terrific main dish when accompanied by a nice, crusty loaf of french bread.   I am excited to find that I have just enough of all the ingredients left in my garden for one more meal of this delicious dish!  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread