Enchilada Casserole



Yummy Enchilada taste for a family without the fuss!  It seems that this casserole  fixes up a bit different each time because I often use up a few left over or lonely items that are nearing their life expectancy. ;)  It is ALWAYS good though and easy to do.   

Tonight I am using hamburger and black beans.  I usually use the burger, but sometimes the beans are kidney beans or small red beans... whatever I have on hand and catches my fancy when I'm cooking.   Tonight I used shredded cheddar cheese, but if I had some jack cheese or whatnot, I'd make a blend.  Right now my only variety to blend would be mozzarella and I have plans for that later this week.   It's easy to add in a few chopped veggies as well...  use your best judgement.... in addition to the onion I've enjoyed finely diced potato, summer squash, corn, and spinach or chard finely shredded.  Not all of those at once though - the kids get suspicious when they notice too many.  If you've got some leftover cooked rice - toss that into the filling!

You can prepare this a few hours before dinner time, or you could prepare it the night before and keep it in the refrigerator until you're ready to bake it.  Add just a few minutes to the bake time to balance out the colder temperature.  


Enchilada Casserole

 12-15 corn tortillas

1 lb hamburger (I prefer a really low fat burger - 93/7)
1 large onion
1 15 oz. can of black beans or kidney beans, drained
chopped green chili optional
 (any other chopped vegetables you want to put in - such as a finely diced potato or summer squash)

Brown hamburger, add in onion and the extra veggies and cook until onion is tender.   Mix in the beans.  Salt and pepper to taste.

1 large can enchilada sauce - OR make your own.  I love the one by Emeril found HERE. (although I do use 1 T. less chili powder than he calls for)

 3 C. shredded cheese

Grease a medium to large casserole dish. Spread 1/2 C. enchilada sauce  Tear 2-3 tortillas in chunks and lay across the bottom.  Spread half of the hamburger mixture, sprinkle 1 C. of the cheese, and drizzle 3/4 C. of enchilada sauce over that.  Repeat layers - tortilla's, hamburger mixture, 1 C. cheese, 1 C. enchilada sauce.  Top with one more layer of tortilla's, the rest of the cheese, and the rest of the enchilada sauce.  Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes.  If desired, serve with sour cream.

Joy's Notes:  This does freeze well for up to 3 months.  It would be very easy to split this into two smaller dishes and freeze one for later.  When you're ready to use, thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake as directed.  My "casserole dish" tonight was an extra large pie tin.  A 9x13 cake pan works too. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread