Sally Lund Horseradish Pickles





I'm not sure where this recipe came from, but I remember eating them and puckering when I was fairly small.  The recipe calls for tiny cucumbers, about the size of your little finger.  It is a great way for me to control my cucumber patch right now since it's producing more cucumbers than I need for other pickles!  These are quick and easy.  They do make you pucker up though.  Very tangy and the horseradish adds some bite.

These are one of the reasons I love to can.  You won't find these pickles on the shelf of any store, and they are a fun addition to a special meal!  (I especially love them with roast beef.)

Sally Lund Pickles

Enough finger-length cucumbers to fill 3 pints (or 6 half-pints if you prefer)

Wash cucumbers being sure to brush off all the prickly spines.  Pack in to jars.  

Mix the following together, heating enough to dissolve the sugar:

2 C. apple cider vinegar
1/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. ground mustard
1/4 C. ground horseradish (bottled creamy horseradish is okay)
1/4 C. salt

Pour vinegar mixture over cucumbers, put lids on and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.   Let set 6 weeks to blend.  

Joy's Notes:   If you pack the cucumbers into your jars tightly the vinegar solution will fill 3 pints.  I've found that these keep well for about 2 years and then mine have started to soften even though they're sealed so be sure to write the date on them & use them up!  Once they've processed the brine separates out & they'll look like the jar below.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread