CRACKer Candy






I just finished up a batch of CRACKer Candy. (also known as Better Than Money Toffee)  Keeley, my newly married daughter, needed the recipe so I thought I'd go ahead and post it here even though you can find it in varying forms everywhere these days.  I found it in a old church cookbook before I was married.  I guess this has been around for a long time. Probably since saltines were invented. Yes, I'm sure at least that long.

This stuff is addicting!  My goodness! How can you go wrong with butter, sugar, and chocolate?   My Mom has an old fashioned toffee recipe that is delicious but you have to do just right or it doesn't turn out.  It's rare that this "cheater" sort of toffee fails!  I've often made 3 or 4 batches each year.  Thankfully I only feel compelled to make this at Christmas time or we'd need to widen our doorways. ;)


CRACKer Candy

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Line a cookie sheet with foil.  I use a jellyroll pan which is 18x13.  If you use a smaller sheet you'll need to cut the recipe by 1/3.  Spray the foil with cooking spray.  Set 1 1/2 sleeves of saltine crackers out on the cookie sheet.  Cover the entire bottom of the sheet.  Break crackers in half if you need to on the edges to get it to fit nicely.

In a medium sized pan heat:

1 1/2 C. brown sugar
1 1/2 C. butter (you can use margarine, but butter always tastes better!)

Bring to a rolling boil and time for 3 minutes.

Carefully pour the butter/sugar mixture over the crackers and spread evenly.  Bake in 400 degree oven for exactly 5 minutes.   Remove from oven and cool for 1-2 minutes.  Sprinkle 2-3 cups of chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet - your preference) over everything.  Let it sit about 5 minutes to let the chocolate chips soften and then spread the chocolate evenly over the candy. (I use the back of a spoon - works perfectly!)

Let sit until cool, about 1-2 hours. (you can put it in the fridge if you're hurrying)   Break into pieces and enjoy! 

I dare you to eat JUST ONE PIECE and then leave it alone!  :)



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread