Coconut Pecan Frosting and Cool Egg Trick




I love the frosting on German Chocolate Cake.  So carmeley and nutty and sticky and wonderful!  I needed to make some cupcakes for a birthday today and since there was no school, my girls had fun helping.   I love having the kids help in the kitchen.  They always want to to the fun stuff  like cracking eggs, or measuring sugar, or stirring.  I hardly EVER have a child beg me to help with the dishes or put ingredients away.  Hmmm... 

For this recipe we needed 3 egg yolks.  My friend sent me a link to a video that showed an innovative way to separate eggs, and though I think just using the shell is easy enough, we gave this new method a try, just to see.  It was fun!    You can find that video HERE.  Essentially, you just crack an egg into a bowl and use an empty water bottle to suck the egg yolks up out of the whites.  It was pretty easy as long as you didn't break the yolk while cracking the egg.   Here are a few pictures of our trial... 




Cool trick, right?!  Who thinks of this stuff?  If I had a lot of eggs to separate I'd use this method again, but for one or two, the old fashioned way is just fine.  Your kids will love trying it though, next time you make scrambled eggs is a good time to try it just for fun...  save one of those empty flexible water bottles.

Once your eggs are separated, the Coconut Pecan Frosting is easy to do and just takes a few minutes of stirring to cook.  You do need to leave time for it to cool a bit though before using.

Coconut Pecan Frosting

1 C. evaporated milk
1 C. brown sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 C. butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 C. chopped pecans
1 1/3 C. shredded coconut

In saucepan combine everything EXCEPT the nuts and coconut.  Cook over low heat stirring constantly until thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in pecans and coconut.  Let cool before frosting cakes or cupcakes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread