Sweet Stick Pickles


Sweet Stick Pickles

When I was quite little I remember my Mom brining cucumbers for sweet pickles.  She had a big 5 gallon crock that she used, and I just remember watching as she checked under the weight.  I did NOT like the smell of those brined cucumbers, nor did I like the sweet pickles once they were made. (I did love the beautiful crock she used though!)  I loved dill pickles!  I married a man who loves sweet pickles.  I had no desire to learn to do sweet pickles like my Mom did when I was little!  My mother-in-law (Shirley) had a perfect solution though as she had a recipe for these easy Sweet Stick pickles.  Shirley got this recipe from her mom Mary, who got it from her friend Mae.  I love these shared and handed down recipes.  The syrup on these tastes almost the same as the one used for the Bread and Butter Pickles I posted a few years ago.  You do need an afternoon to do these as they have to sit in water for 4-5 hours before being processed.

These could be done in just half a batch if you have fewer cucumbers.  If you have a lot of cucumbers to use or if you don't want to can pickles, I have shared several other pickle recipes that I'll list below (just click on the provided link to find them!).



Sweet Sticks

Several medium sized pickling cucumbers (I'd guess about 3-4 per pint that you want to do though that could be a high estimate - the syrup will fill at least 12 pints)

Wash and cut into sticks that will fit into pint jars.  Place in a large bowl and pour boiling water over them to cover all the cucumbers.  Place a cover over the top of the bowl.  Let sit 4-5 hours.   Drain and pack solidly into clean pint jars (wide mouth or regular).

Vinegar Syrup

In a large pot mix:

3 T. salt
6 C. sugar
3 3/4 C. cider vinegar
4 1/2 tsp. celery seed
4 1/2 tsp. turmeric
3/4 tsp. mustard seed.

Bring to boil and boil for 5 minutes.  Pour over cucumbers in jars, process for 5 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Joy's Notes:   This is an old recipe and I'm not comfortable with only 5 minutes of process time so I do 10 and it doesn't seem to affect the firmness of the pickles.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread