Dehydrating Cinnamon Apples! Smells Like Fall!




It is chilly outside.  Cool breeze and overcast.  Tonight it is supposed to drop to below freezing.  It is fall!  Several varieties of our apples are ready to use now and as delicious as they are fresh, we can't eat them all before they'll spoil that way! I've got a few Honey Crisp apples from my trees and some Wealthy apples from Dad's trees.  Dad said his mother preferred Wealthy apples for most of her eating and cooking.  These days you rarely even hear of that variety.   Today I'm drying apples slices in my food dehydrator.   There are several different brands of dehydrators and you can pay a lot or a little.  Mine is probably on the less expensive end of the range and works wonderfully for what I like to do.

Who needs artificial scents when you can dehydrate cinnamon apples and fill your home with the scent of apple pie!

Dried Cinnamon Apples

Peel (if desired), core, and slice several apples and lay out in a single layer on dehydrator rack

Sprinkle lightly with a mixture of 1/4 C. sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon

Dry as directed for your machine.

Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry, place.

My family loves these cinnamon sugar slices for after school snacks or when we're traveling.  My son took them with us backpacking and mixed with a bit of hot water and a cinnamon instant oatmeal packet for "apple crisp".  It was pretty good! 

Dehydrating these beautiful apples lets us enjoy our harvest all year through!



This is my dehydrator top.  It's a reliable brand and has lasted several years so far.  I would recommend it - however, I haven't tried any other brand recently.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread