Feeding the Freezer - Breakfast




I love breakfast!   I love cooking  breakfast!   I do NOT, however, love cooking breakfast at 6:30 a.m.!    

 My children need to catch the bus by 7:30 a.m.  I let them sleep until 6:40 and then it's a mad rush getting lunches packed, kids dressed, and bags found.  Most mornings the past year they've had cold cereal (which they love actually) or eggs and toast, or oatmeal, or sometimes toast with homemade bread and some hot chocolate to drink. But 90% of the time on school mornings it's cold cereal.  Sometimes there are pancakes or waffles left from a Saturday and then frozen and they love those.  

I have 3 children at home right now... I adore them.  They are 6, 12, and 14 years old.  I have 5 children who are grown and have moved away. (I adore them too!)   I used to cook for 8-10 people on a regular basis.  I used to cook breakfast quite often.  I used to be more organized.  It's time to get back to planning ahead!   

Today I decided to spend the day making breakfast foods to be frozen.  Feed the Freezer so to speak.  All of these will be easy to grab, heat, and eat even on a busy morning!  I also made a nice batch of granola (which I used to do all the time when my older kids were home) to use as a breakfast option as well.  I love homemade granola.  So tasty and filling and good for you!  You can find my granola recipe HERE.

You can find my waffle recipe HERE. - just kidding....  I didn't realize it hasn't been posted yet!  I will remedy that and provide the link as soon as possible!   Any waffle recipe will do for your freezer waffles (though I think MINE is BEST!) just be sure to reheat them in a toaster or toaster oven rather than the microwave.

Today I was able to feed the freezer:

6  Egg and Cheese Biscuits

12 individual Ham and Cheese Frittata's

12 individual Sausage and Cheese Frittata's

18 Breakfast Burrito's

24 Waffles

That's at LEAST two weeks worth of breakfast for our little family on school mornings - even if my two grandchildren who come in the mornings eat with us!  This is GOOD NEWS!

My freezer is happy!   My family will be even happier when they find out there are more delicious options for breakfast!  I can't wait to hear the joyful noise when I tell them!

Most of these items you can figure out how to put together on your own.  Like the biscuit sandwiches......  you just beat an egg and pour into the bottom of each cup on a jumbo muffin tin, add diced ham, and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. (check to see if they're set in the middle).  At the same time you can bake a tube of the jumbo biscuits you find in the refrigerator section.   Top the eggs with a sprinkle of cheese when they're done - butter biscuits - put sandwiches together and wrap individually.  See....  you pretty much already knew how to do those.  Right?!


Frittata's

Heat oven to 325
Grease a regular sized muffin tin.
Fill each cup 1/2 full of frozen shredded hash browns
put about a tablespoon of diced ham or cooked sausage on top of the hash browns.
sprinkle with cheese
beat about 12 eggs, add 1/2 C. milk, 1/2 tsp. salt and some pepper (thyme would be good too) and pour some of that mixture into each cup - not quite to the top or it will over flow while cooking.

Place filled pan in oven and bake about 15-20 minutes or until set.











Breakfast Burrito's

Scramble 8-12 eggs
brown 1/2 lb. sausage with some diced onion
fry a few cups of hash browns
Mix all of the above together after it has cooked.

Place about 1/2 C. filling on  one end of a medium sized flour tortilla.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Roll, tucking sides in to keep filling in place. 

I planned to bake Bran Muffins as well, but it's almost time for kids to be home from school and I need the kitchen back to cook dinner.  (and take a nap! - like that's gonna happen.)

This has been so much fun, I think soon I will Feed the Freezer - Dinner.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread