Zippy Pizza Roll

Zippy Pizza Rolls!

My 12 year old daughter has been requesting pizza a lot lately.  Today I made bread and decided to combine that with a pizza type dish to satisfy her craving.    

I generally make 4 loaves of bread in a batch.  Today I saved half of that dough for the pizza rolls.   I keep shredded mozzarella and pepperoni in the freezer so every thing I needed was right on hand!  I love being able to keep a stocked pantry and freezer!  I can't tell you how much money that has saved me over the years!

The bread recipe I used is found HERE.  You could use your own favorite recipe or frozen bread dough that is thawed and ready to work with.   You'll notice at the bottom of my recipe I have the ingredients for just 2 loaves.  That size will fit in a regular sized Kitchen-Aid mixer.

Zippy Pizza Roll

2 loaves worth of bread dough
1 can spaghetti sauce
small package of pepperoni sliced
2-3 C. shredded mozzarella
sliced olives if desired

Roll each loaf of dough out one at a time into a thin rectangle or oval. (probably about 9x13'ish)


Spread with 1/4 C. your favorite spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce leaving half an inch of dough uncovered on each end and an inch or so of dough uncovered on the side furthest from you.  I love Hunts Garlic and Herb spaghetti sauce for pizza.

Layer the pepperoni, olives, and cheese onto the dough.

Starting with the side closest to you, roll the dough carefully into a roll.  Pinch the edge and ends together to seal the sauce inside.


Place on greased cookie sheet.  Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with dried basil.   Let rise 15-20 minutes and then bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.



Cool a few minutes.  Slice about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick and serve with some of the heated sauce on the side for dipping.  YUM!

Joy's Notes:   I got my sauce too close to the edges on one of my rolls and it leaked sauce and cheese a bit.  The other roll worked terrific.  Be sure to leave your space on the dough with no sauce so your loaves will seal well!   Other than looks though, that roll tasted as good as the first. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread