Chocolaty Peanut Butter Squares


I used to love Reece's Peanut Butter Cups but they've changed somehow since I was in love with them and it seems that they just don't have the same flavor. This recipe for a similar treat is much more like I remember the flavor of the old candy bar!   


My brother shared this recipe with me before I was even a teenager!  He got it from someone he met while serving a mission in Kentucky and Tennessee for our church.  It was easy enough for me to make by myself that my Mom let me mix it up even before I learned to bake cookies. 

I pressed this into an 8x8 pan but if you like a thinner peanut butter base to go with your chocolate, press this same amount into a 9x13.   If it's more than you can use, it freezes nicely but be sure to cut it into squares before freezing.

Chocolaty Peanut Butter Squares

2 C. Creamy peanut butter
2 cubes margarine or butter, melted
4 1/2-5 C. powdered sugar
1 12 oz package chocolate chips

Blend peanut butter and margarine in blender until well mixed.  Add powdered sugar a cup at a time mixing well until your dough is almost dry and crumbly.   Press into an 8x8 ungreased pan.   Melt chocolate chips in microwave carefully. (I put mine on defrost for about 5 minutes and stir - sometimes it needs a few more minutes on low power)  Spread on peanut butter mixture.  Refrigerate until firm.  Let warm to room temperature before cutting through the chocolate.  Cut into bite-sized squares.  Share!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread