Zucchini Bread







Our garden is on full swing right now.  We love having so many fresh vegetables to use!  As usual we have an abundance of zucchini.  It grows so quickly.  One day I check the plant and the squash are a little bit too small and the next day I have zucchini the size of my forearm!   Those forearm sized zucchini are excellent for using in baked goods - like Zucchini Bread!  One can NEVER have too many zucchini recipes during this season!

 



As long as you use a fine grate there's hardly a sign of green zucchini in this and I rarely take time to peel them first.  If you have a food processor you can quickly grate a bunch of zucchini at once.  If I'm only making one batch, I usually just use my hand grater.... you only need 2 cups.... it's pretty quick and then I have one small item to wash.  Lazy, lazy me!



You'll want to grease your bread pans.  My Mom always used a paper towel and some shortening BUT I love to use a cooking spray!  So much quicker and cleaner.  

The BEST cooking spray I've ever found for releasing cakes and breads is called Bak-Klene.  It works better than coating a pan with shortening and flour by far!  
I bake birthday cakes and wedding cakes and Bak-Klene is a must!



I love the warm, cinnamony smell of the kitchen as this bakes. I hope you do too!

Zucchini Bread

1 C. granulated sugar
1 C. brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 C. oil OR 1/2 C. oil and 1/2 C. coconut oil
2 C. zucchini, grated finely
1 T. vanilla
3 C. flour 
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 T. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 C. chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix all ingredients until well incorporated.  Split between 2 greased bread pans - they should be about 2/3 - 3/4 full.  Bake at 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour, give or take 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and let sit for 5 - 10 minutes. Slide a sharp knife around the edges of the bread pan and turn out onto a towel.  Sometimes you have to tap the pan once or twice to get the bottom to release.


Enjoy warm or cold.  I prefer mine slathered with butter. Delish!!!

Joy's Notes:  In this batch of bread I used 1/2 C. whole wheat flour and 2 1/2 C. white flour.  My zucchini was very very moist so I ended up adding 1/2 C. more of flour.  The batter should be a tad thicker than cake batter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread