Oatmeal Crispies


This was the first cookie I learned to bake. I think I was about 11 years old, maybe 12.  What warm memories of using my Mom's old mixer.  By the time I was adding the last cup of oatmeal I had to have help to stir it in by hand.  I remember eating about as much dough as baked cookies.  Some things never change!!!  However, some things DO change and now I have an awesome KitchenAid mixer than can mix up a double batch all by itself without batting an eye!   

I'll type in the recipe just like Mom's, but I do make some changes.  Most of the time I add 1/2-1 tsp. of cinnamon.  I've read about the health benefits of cinnamon so in my mind, this qualifies these cookies as a health food. LOL!  Seriously though, if you're going to have a cookie, one with oatmeal in it at least provides more nutrition than one with straight white flour, and once in a while I substitute 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour for 1/2 cup of the white flour.   (and then remember that cinnamon! ;)  )   

Oatmeal Crispies

1 C. shortening (or margarine or butter)
1 C. sugar
1 C. brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2-1 tsp. cinnamon optional
1/2 C. chopped walnuts optional
1 C. chocolate chips
3 C. quick oats
1/2-1 tsp. cinnamon if desired

Cream shortening and sugars; add eggs and vanilla.  Sift flour, soda and salt (and cinnamon if using) together and add to creamed mixture.  Add oats, nuts and chocolate chips.  Drop on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  (when they're done they'll be starting to brown on the edges and look not quite done in the middle... take them out and let them sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes or so and they finish up nicely)

Joy's Notes:  If you use margarine, you probably want to add an extra 1/4 C. of flour.  Often, I bake my first sheet of cookies and if they spread too much, add a bit more flour.  The original recipe says to bake for 8-10 minutes but my oven most of the time needs 11-12.  I seem to ALWAYS burn one sheet of cookies because I set it lower & then think "I'll leave it in just one more minute" and then I wander off and forget.  I'm sure things like that don't happen at YOUR house. :)   Those over done cookies are really good dunked in milk!  Waste not want not.  (This DOES NOT apply to extra blackened cookies... they don't taste good in any amount of milk - if the oven is smoking... throw them out. lol)

Several years ago after making these cookies, I was cleaning up in the kitchen and realized the baby was being awfully quiet.  Guess what he found!  He'd learned to pull the chairs out and was quite a climber.  The cookies were just too much to resist. :)   Awww these babies grow up too fast!  Now he's 8 years old and could reach the plate just fine without climbing!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread