Dressed up Skillet Avocado Eggs



Hi there! 
Thanks for dropping by.

I am currently working on eating healthier and moving more to help with some of those health issues that sneak up as you age.  Fatigue, weight, stiff joints.  I know some of you totally understand about that!  I complain to my Dad once in a while (he will be 94 in a few months) and he always says "Well Joy, you ain't seen nothin' yet!"  Bwahaha!  Nothing like things getting put in perspective!

So, I am creating a new little section on my blog for my Adventures in Healthy Eating.  This is my first attempt at creating a recipe in that genre - this year.  There are other healthy recipes on my blog but many of them are my childhood comfort foods or ones that were used as we raised a large family on a little budget.  Those are special occasion foods!

I kept seeing these lovely Baked Avocado Egg recipes.  They look delicious.  But I am a tad lazy  and impatient and heating the whole oven up to 425 and waiting 20 minutes didn't appeal to me.  So I adjusted that into a frying pan meal.   I thought it turned out delicious and the eye appeal worked well for me. I think I would like baby spinach in this but I didn't have that on hand this morning.  Maybe next time!  Definitely added to my regular meal plan!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I used a 6 inch cast iron skillet, but you use whatever small skillet you have.  Oh, and the zucchini!  Use the small store size, not the end-of-the-season-large-as-your-forearm ones.  If I only had the large ones I'd cut it in chunks instead.

Dressed Up Skillet Avocado Eggs 

2-4 T. diced onion
8-10 1/4 inch zucchini slices
1 large mushroom, sliced (I prefer Crimini) 
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 medium avocado, pitted and coaxed out of the skin all in one piece
2 eggs
1/8 C. diced fresh tomato
salt and pepper to taste

Heat skillet and add olive oil and onion and saute' a minute on medium-medium low heat.  Add zucchini slices and mushroom and saute until they begin to soften... just a couple of minutes.  Shake a little salt and pepper on those as they cook.  Scoot those veggies toward the sides enough to make room to set the avocado half in the center.  Crack each egg onto the veggies beside the avocado.  Salt and pepper.  Add 1 tablespoon of water to your pan, quickly place a lid on it (to start catching the steam) and turn the heat to low.  Set a timer for 2-3 minutes for a soft yolk, up to 5 for a hard one.   Using a spatula, gently scoot your dish out onto a plate.  Add diced tomatoes in the center of the avocado.  Enjoy!

Joy's Notes:  I have a gas stove and using a cast iron skillet this cooks different than it would on an electric stove in a regular pan.  Play with it a little and you'll figure out what times and temperatures you need on YOUR stove!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Pork Chops and Potatoes

Brown Rice, Broccoli and Chicken Bake

Molasses Oatmeal Bread